please eat my data!

Mon Apr 12 08:24:35 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-12, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:33:35 +0200, "Sebastian Spaeth" > Wow, this is really interesting, Sebastian.  For those of us not in the
> know, can you explain what libeatmydata is and how it's used?

Hehe, I just got the pointer to it on IRC myself:

http://www.flamingspork.com/projects/libeatmydata/

You download and untar the thing, and "make" it, which produces
libeatmydata.so. Running a binary foo with LD_PRELOAD=./libeatmydata.so foo
will then effectively make all fsyncs a Noop. Not something you want on
your production systems, but great to test how much of a penality those
fsyncs really are.

What I find intersting is that we have a 2x speedup and a 10x speedup
for different queries. Olly was saying on IRC that both *should* really be
behaving in much the same manner.

Sebastian