RFC: User-Agent header

Xavier Maillard xma at gnu.org
Sat Apr 10 07:02:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 08:12:47 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:26:01 +0200, "Sebastian Spaeth" <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> > notmuch is (mostly) not responsible for sending email. However, people
> > using the emacs frontend use notmuch to create the reply.
> >
> > Am I the only one who is sometimes curious as to what mail agents others
> > use? Would it be useful to insert a header to notmuch reply analog to:

> > We could reuse the same version string that we use for the release (or
> > the git string that was used to build notmuch). I can use this to create
> > nice stats :).
> >
> > No patch yet, just asking if this is a good idea or not.
>
> I think it's a very good idea. But it should be something that includes
> the other components of how you send email...

I totally agree with this and Carl's proposition is really what I
would want to see.

The only problem is: how do you implement a generic solution for
all possible backends ? I know a possibility for mail-mode but I
do not know how to do this for message-mode. And even If I'd know
that's only targeted to GNU Emacs' users.

Xavier