RFC: User-Agent header

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Apr 9 19:55:17 PDT 2010

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 08:12:47 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:26:01 +0200, "Sebastian Spaeth" <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
>
> > No patch yet, just asking if this is a good idea or not.

Yes. A fine idea.

> I think it's a very good idea. But it should be something that includes
> the other components of how you send email...
>
> Like
>
> User-Aget: Emacs 23 Message-mode / notmuch-0.1.1

A quick grep through some of my recent mails does show precedent for
this kind of thing:

Unsurprisingly, these suer-agent strings can become arbitrarily
unwieldy:

Or extremely simple:

I don't see the advantage of duplicating the name and version in the
parenthesized comment, but here's an idea that looks useful:

So I propose something like:

If anybody wants to start assembling a patch to generate that, that
would be great.

-Carl