[notmuch] Bulk message tagging

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Tue Apr 6 12:51:01 PDT 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 01:15:39 -0500, Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 07:38:03 -0400, Jesse Rosenthal <jrosenthal at jhu.edu> wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 06:37:53 +0200, Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> wrote:
> > > Is there an easy way to mark a whole bunch of message (restricted
> > > in a region, result of a search, ...) ?
> >
> > In addition to the "*" command that was mentioned, there is a patch I
> > wrote to tag messages in search view by region in emacs. You can find it
>
> Sounds interesting. * is good when your search criteria is
> perfect but you proposed patch is a good companion for all the
> rest.
>
> Sadly, git is not really something I know wll enough to play with
> all this stuff :(
>
> Xavier

Also, you will want to be careful with '*' in emacs.

It runs notmuch tag +<tag> <search terms from buffer>,
but the notmuch-search buffer can be woefully out of date.

I like to go through and add tags, archive, etc, lots of email.  Then I
'q' back to the search buffer, and I may realize that I want to tag
everything I can see.  '*' isn't really that command, it applies a tag
to the results of a search that you are looking at.  But it will use a
fresh version of the search, not the version in the buffer, which could
be minutes, hours, days or weeks old, depending on your Emacs buffer
management habits (or lack of them).

I think that '*' is definitely an awesome command, but I wonder if we
shouldn't have another command for the notmuch-search buffer which means
'tag all the threads that I can see in this buffer'.

If you have a crontab running 'notmuch new', you could end up tagging a
lot of things you would rather have a chance to review first.  I often
use '*' to tag:deleted a large number of mails once I have a query I
like, so deleting things sight unseen is an unpleasant thought.

I know that there is an emacs-region patch, which could probably be
extended to implement the behavior I'm talking about, but I have a hard
enough time adding keys to the keymaps, and alas, the time thing...

Maybe someone else will decide it's important enough to do, or has
already done it.

Enjoy,
-Mark