[notmuch] vala, this is notmuch. notmuch, this is vala

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Apr 5 06:50:04 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:49:23PM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> So I bound notmuch.so to vala (at least what I needed) and played with
> the code a bit. The resulting 100 lines of vala code are here:

Ooh, a .vapi for notmuch, that is something that makes me happy. It
could be shipped with notmuch proper, even if it's rough now, and then
improved as people use it.

> Usage: "./vnotmuch Seb" will output all 'to:' addresses according to
> frequency for all messages where to, cc, or bcc matches "Seb*". It also
> filters with AND "from:yourprimarymailaddress". Just
> "./vnotmuch" outputs all addresses that you ever sent mails to. It never
> writes/modifies your db.

Now I use "lbdb", which gets very slow as time goes. You idea creates a
most definitely superior system.

> Just a teaser to make you interested in vala :).

As it happens, some of us already are interested.

As soon as automatic gobject introspection based language bindings
become workable for at least python and perl, my plan is to rewrite
buffy[1] in Vala.

A second plan would be to have buffy show stats for saved notmuch
queries as well as (or instead of) mail folders.

It's very nice to know I wouldn't be the only person playing with Vala
around here.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/buffy