[notmuch] pull request [was Re: pull request]

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Sat Apr 3 14:21:57 PDT 2010

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:37:46 -0700, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> If I apply this patch as is, then when compiling the notmuch-show.el I
> get the following warnings:
>
>   In notmuch-show:
>   notmuch-show.el:969:34:Warning: reference to free variable `notmuch-command'
>
>   In end of data:
>   notmuch-show.el:983:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
>       defined: point-invisible-p, mail-header-extract-no-properties,
>       notmuch-select-tag-with-completion, union, intersection, set-difference,
>       notmuch-search-show-thread, mm-display-parts, mm-dissect-buffer,
>       notmuch-save-attachments, notmuch-count-attachments, notmuch-reply,
>       mm-handle-type, mm-display-part, notmuch-fontify-headers

This is my understanding from staring at the code for a few other
packages; any experts feel free to contradict.

The warnings about unknown functions can be eliminated by use the
declare-function macro; if you have emacs lisp reference manual (it
required the package emacs23-common-non-dfsg on Debian) then you can
run:

ESC ESC : (info "(elisp)Declaring Functions") <RETURN>

For variables, the obvious approach is to make a file 'notmuch-vars.el'
and put the variables we need in several files there.