[notmuch] Notmuch shared library

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Apr 1 00:54:16 PDT 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:47:33 +0100, Ingmar Vanhassel <ingmar at exherbo.org> wrote:
> I'd very much like to see this upstream.

Me too. ;-) Sorry for the long delay.

> I amended your first patch to make it install the notmuch.h header
> too.

A very nice addition.

> The second patch fixed some parallel make issue I had while testing
> your series.

As is this. I ran into this problem immediately when testing the first
patch.

> The third patch adds a configure switch to configure where to install
> libraries. It has one issue I'm aware off. Setting --prefix=/usr
> without setting --libdir does the wrong thing. This should probably be
> fixed, but I don't have any immediate ideas how to do this.

This configure option is nice too, but the problem you pointed out was
serious, (so, thanks for noting it). I went ahead and fixed this.

I also spent some time making sure I (think I) understand how library
sonames and library versions work. I did several investigations with
libtool that convinced me it adds problems without any tangible benefit,
(at least for the target platforms I'm aware of people using with
notmuch).

I finished this by establishing a 3-part library interface version,
(initially 1.0.0), along with careful documentation in the Makefile on
how to increment it. And of course, I ended up touching up about a
half-dozen issues in the Makefiles along the way.

We'll still want to add functions/macros to the library to make the
library version available to the user. And I do want to still add some
symbol hiding and potentially some symbol versioning to the library. But
I'm not making the patch series block on that.

Finally, I'm a tiny bit annoyed that now after a fresh checkout of
notmuch and "make" that one can't easily run ./notmuch without either
installing the library (or fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH). I've got some
ideas on how to simplify that, but I'm not sure if any are good or worth
it.

Anyway, this patch series is now pushed with my changes on top. Thanks,
Ben and Ingmar!

-Carl