[notmuch] JSON based emacs UI

Mon Mar 29 00:49:16 PDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:46:40 +0200, Michal Sojka <sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz> wrote:
> I don't think this can be solved only in Makefile. From my look at dme's
> repo, he adds a new subcomand 'part', which is used by the UI. So if you
> want to use the new UI and your other features, you need to merge the
> things together.

I agree that notmuch and notmuch.el need to be developed deployed in
close cooperation. However, this bundling makes things a bit more
complex to untangle. I am willing to e.g. add the -part improvement to
my own branch of notmuch, but I want to follow dme's frontend closely.

> To build my version of notmuch, I use an ugly script
> (http://rtime.felk.cvut.cz/gitweb/notmuch.git/blob/refs/heads/debian-wsh:/wsh-buildpackage)
> which first does a big octopus merge to combine several features to one
> branch and then I build notmuch from there. The current state of my
> integration can be seen at
> http://rtime.felk.cvut.cz/gitweb/notmuch.git/shortlog/refs/heads/integration/features.

Interesting, but a bit more complicated that I was originally thinking off.

> This approach has a disadvantage that integration/features branch is
> often rewritten (whenever I add, remove or change a patch) so that
> others cannot track the branch. On the other side, the advantage is that
> others can easily see which patches I have applied on top of master. If
> Carl updates master, I just rerun the script and the updated integration
> branch is ready (unless there is a merge conflict).

Very nice.

Sebastian