[notmuch] reverse iterators

Sun Mar 21 13:07:56 PDT 2010

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:23:20 +0100, Ruben Pollan <meskio at sindominio.net> wrote:

> Adds support to reverse iteration on messages, threads and tags. To revew and
> think if makes sense to include them on notmuch or wait until they have a real
> use.

/me raises arm. Real use case here! Personally, I don't need the
backwards operator (and I don't see the case where I would need to go
back very often). But a _move_to_first() for threads, messages (and
probably tags), would be really useful to me now:

Having bound notmuch.so to python, I am in a situation, where I can only
offer iteration once, with subsequent iterations failing. This is very
unexpected and very un-pythonesque. I fell myself over it:

#the below len() iterates and exhausts msgs
if len(msgs) > 0:
   for msg in msgs: print msg
   #above line fails horribly already...
else: print "No message for me!"

So, having a way to reset the iterator would be a real boon already now.

Sebastian