[notmuch] Yet another python binding

Thu Mar 18 01:59:01 PDT 2010

I've been bragging on IRC over the last couple of days already, so some
might already be annoyed by this, but here it goes:

I've been binding the notmuch shared library to python and so far it
works really nice. It "only" requires that you have a libnotmuch.so or
libnotmuch.so.1 installed in some library path and a python>=2.5.

API docs of bound methods: http://spaetz.bitbucket.org/docs/html/index.html
Source code: http://bitbucket.org/spaetz/cnotmuch/

-------------------------
I've reimplemented a python-based notmuch "binary" (to be able to run the
test suite on it), that implements the following commands:
(The performance is comparable to that of the real notmuch)

- show: outputs message stubs, formatting is still missing; no
  --entire-threads option
- count, tag, dump, search-tags

Missing is still:
 setup, reply
 new (this is  still hard)
 search (still missing the notmuch_threads* bindings)
 restore (trivial, but not done yet)

Get it via "hg clone https://spaetz@bitbucket.org/spaetz/cnotmuch/".
(Switch to the branch with the current static documentation with "hg up
docs" and back to the code with "hg up default".)

If you are interested in using notmuch from python, give it a look. I
plan to convert notmuchsync to this soon and hope to get a nice boost
from it.

spaetz