[notmuch] Tag search peculiarities

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:03:32 PDT 2010

Hey all,

While trying perfect my initial tagging script, I have run into a very strange
set of issue. In my script, I use the following to exclude mailing list traffic
from my inbox,

notmuch tag -new tag:new and tag:list notmuch tag -new +inbox tag:new

However, I found that mailing list traffic was still getting through.

After investigating further, I found that any query in the form of "tag:inbox
and tag:$TAG" would return no results. Strangely, all other combinations of tag
searches (i.e. "tag:lkml and tag:unread") seem to work just fine.

Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior? Does the inbox tag have some
special signifigance that I should know of? Is my index just FUBAR? (the ladder
would be very strange considering it's only a few days old and I can't think of
any crashes, etc. that might have corrupted it) Any ideas for debugging?

Thanks!

- Ben