[notmuch] Notmuch command interface

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Fri Mar 12 00:31:19 PST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, David A Benjamin wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Ben Gamari wrote:
> > While the notmuch command-line interface is fantastic, there defintely are a few
> > gaps which hurt performance. Since I've been following, I've seen several
> > threads on how to handle message addition and initial tagging[1][2]. I recall
> > that some time ago Carl had the idea of applying only a 'new' tag during notmuch
> > new. I strongly supported this proposal yet it seems that nothing ever became of
> > it. Is there a reason for this? Would a patch be accepted?
> >

> To avoid breaking the current behavior, what if the set of tags applied to
> new/moved/deleted(?) messages could be set on the command line or some
> other library interface, while just perhaps defaulting to unread/inbox?
> This would support both the current behavior and a hooks-like workflow
> without notmuch itself treating any tags (new, unread, inbox, etc.) as
> "special".

Hi,

in id:87ljecmnbd.fsf at steelpick.localdomain, I outlined my idea about
mail store abstraction. To go on with the idea, I think that the set of
initial tags should be determined by mail store implementation.
Currently I think that new messages should be tagged as follows:

1) immutable file-based mail store: inbox + unread (backward compatibility
   with current notmuch)

2) Maildir-based mail store: inbox + tags derived from maildir flags.

3) git-based mail store: arbitrary tags stored in git repository (perhaps
   by MDA).

In 3) you could therfore use any policy you want to do initial tagging
of your messages. What do you think?

Unfortunately, I didn't make much progress in implementating this, but
it's definitely a priority for me because I want to get rid of slow
notmuchsync.

Cheers,
Michal