[notmuch] an other ready-to-use store option for notmuch : CouchDB

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Mar 2 07:44:15 PST 2010

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:26:10 +0100, Paul R <paul.r.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> CouchDB databases can be replicated and synced in both directions.
> Conflicts are lazily handled.

I've wondered about this.  An interesting property would be lack of a
global lock, which is one of the reasons why people are either not
having notmuch-new run automatically, or are working around the errors
when the database is locked, and thus all the talk about having a
notmuch daemon or other method of handling asynchronous actions.

The advantage of the current system is that the mail store remains
current, but untouched.  Importing into something like CouchDB or
MongoDB would seem to interfere with "point at a directory and go, with
no full copy".

> People here often call for facilities to read mail with notmuch from
> different places. An unidirectional imap-to-couchDB, plus a couchDB
> backend for notmuch, should give enough flexibility to achieve this
> goal.

I thought people were asking to be able to read messages from other
places *with other tools*, such as phones or webmail.  This would
require 2-way sync with IMAP.

Jed