[notmuch] What's so great about notmuch?

Mon Mar 1 05:39:03 PST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:08:49 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
>    What's your favorite thing about notmuch?

It is simple and fast. It lets me use emacs as MUA which I tried
before. But I always gave up on GNUS.

>    What about notmuch makes it distinctive compared to other email
>    programs?

Did I mention fast? Also it brings me the convenience of "spotlight"
searching all your mails in OS X to Linux.

>    If someone were to implement a new email system from scratch, but
>    capturing the "ideas" of notmuch, what would it have to have?

- "virtual folders" aka tags
- a library that can be used by 3rd party UIs
- a huge backlog of uncommited submissions ;) (SCNR)
- I think thunderbird is actually getting closer to notmuch in version 3.

Sebastian