[notmuch] What's so great about notmuch?

racin at free.fr racin at free.fr
Sat Feb 27 08:46:51 PST 2010

>    What's your favorite thing about notmuch?

The simple, functional emacs interface (rmail is too simple and Gnus too complex). Especially, I like the
idea that many commands create new bufferes, that get deleted with "q", so that access to buffers is
done like in a stack.

>    What about notmuch makes it distinctive compared to other email
>    programs?

The idea of not having to sort mails manually, but rather be able to find them later thanks to fast searching.

>    If someone were to implement a new email system from scratch, but
>    capturing the "ideas" of notmuch, what would it have to have?

I would encourage him to contribute to notmuch instead! I think notmuch only need some
minor improvement of the UI interface. Maybe interaction with org-mode/calendar would also be nice.

But if I were to reimplement notmuch, I would definitely have an emacs interface coupled with a command-line tool.

Matthieu