[notmuch] Introducing notmuchsync

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 24 10:19:06 PST 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:12:28 +0100, "Sebastian Spaeth" <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> ================
>  - Synchronizes the "S" flag with the "unread" tag (1-way). The
>  synchronization direction is decided by using either --sync (change
>  maildir flags according to notmuch) or --revsync (change notmuch tags
>  according to maildir). By default it always checks the mails from the
>  previous 30 days (but can also do --all mails if you have plenty of
>  RAM and time).
>  - Deletes all mail files that have the "delete" tag
>  - Quiet/normal/verbose logging

Thanks for contributing this, Sebastian.

Let me know if you'd like to host this within the contrib directory of
the notmuch repository.

>  - It temporarily slurps in all your mails from the last 30 days into
>  RAM. I am waiting for "notmuchs show blah --output filename --output
>  tags" to improve that :). Generally the parsing of the output of
>  "notmuch show" is a bit hackyish with regexps at the moment.

OK. So we'll be adding an --output option to give you just filenames
soon, and we've got JSON output now so you can avoid hacky regexps now.

Elsewhere in the thread Jameson Rollins wrote:
> I should have mentioned in my previous mail that I think this tool is
> a great idea, and I plan on using it.  I just hope that all of it's
> functionality will be integrated directly into notmuch itself.

I think that's the open question still. How much of this kind of
functionality do we integrate into notmuch itself. I don't know the
answer to that question yet, but I'm quite happy to see people
experimenting with doing scripts like this on top of notmuch already.

I do know that I want to do thing to make such scripting easier,
(independent of whether the current functionality gets folded into
notmuch).

-Carl