[notmuch] nested tag trees (was: Mail in git)

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Feb 18 16:31:15 PST 2010

also sprach Ben Gamari <bgamari at gmail.com> [2010.02.18.1810 +1300]:
> Yeah, this is a bit of a bummer. This is really a stretch, but I wonder
> if the git folks would accept patches/minor database semantics changes
> in the name of making git more flexible as a general purpose object
> database. I really doubt it, but you never know.

I am pretty sure they won't. Git is a content tracker, not a general
purpose filesystem. It's a bit of a shame.

> > Instead of nested subtrees, think of 16 subtrees forming
> > a level-1 hash table, or 256 for level-2, which really *ought*
> > to be enough.
> >
> > Anyway, rewriting a tree object is pretty much exactly the same
> > as removing a line (e.g. a message ID) from a file (e.g. a tag),
> > as that file would have to be fully rewritten.
> >
> This is very true, but exactly do you mean by this statement?

That any form of tag-to-message mapping will be expensive when you
have a million messages referenced. If you used symlinks like mairix
does, any manipulation would require changes to the directory index,
which — curiously — functions much like the subtree approach you
proposed.

"the faster i go, the behinder i get."
                                                    -- lewis carroll

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net