[notmuch] Git ancestry and sync problems (was: Mail in git)

racin at free.fr racin at free.fr
Thu Feb 18 00:34:28 PST 2010

----- "martin f krafft" <madduck at madduck.net> a écrit :

> Except I fear that as soon as we allow manipulation of the local
> store, we'll potentially run into this problem:
>
>   http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/001114.html
>   id:20100112045152.GA15275 at lapse.rw.madduck.net

I don't understand the problem. Why not just letting all "inbox" mails in a regular Maildir,
and use git only when they have been explicit archived? This way, mails are added to git only if we want
to save them, and we rarely (never?) need to remove mail from the git store. Deleting mail
is also much easier to do from the maildir. This mail flow would make much more sense to me.

Thanks,
Matthieu