[notmuch] Mail in git

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Wed Feb 17 11:23:48 PST 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:03:36 -0500, Ben Gamari <bgamari at gmail.com> wrote:
> > notmuch would then only search and provide the hash ID(s); tags
> > would be a function of storage.
> >
> > Is it possible to find out all trees that reference a given object
> > with Git in constant or sub-linear time?
> >
> I don't believe so. I think this is one of the reasons why git gc is so
> expensive.

But if we have notmuch as a cache of the tags, then don't we already
know the tree objects that need updating?  Yes, we would probably need
some consistency checks for when things don't work as planned, but in
the common case we ought to always know.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding these tree objects, and you're suggesting
that we don't even tell notmuch about them.

-Mark

Just poking my nose where it don't belong, since 1984.