[notmuch] Mail in git

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Feb 16 17:21:01 PST 2010

also sprach Stewart Smith <stewart at flamingspork.com> [2010.02.15.1329 +1300]:
> What about adding more mail to the archive?
>
> So the way I think is that you use a Maildir for day to day mail
> (e.g. delivery) and every so often you run some magic command that
> takes old mail out of the Maildir and stores it in the git repo.

Either that, or the other idea we had (which I prefer), which would
basically be:

  evenless-submit — add a new mail (and return a hash ID)
                    and invoke a hook, e.g. to let notmuch know
  evenless-cat    — print the full mail given ID with headers to stdout
  evenless-delete — unlink a mail identified by hash ID
                    and invoke a hook, e.g. to let notmuch know

If we expose the submit and delete functionality at the notmuch
level, then we don't need the hooks for then evenless would be
plumbing.

Anything to avoid a cronjob would be good, I think.

Then we need a notmuch backend for mutt etc.. For those who still
want to use a regular Maildir, let them use the worktree.

What I am wondering is if (explicit) tags couldn't be represented as
tree-objects with this.

  evenless-link   — link a message object with a tree object
  evenless–unlink – unlink a message object from tree object
    [replaces evenless-unlink]

messages would then be deleted whenever using git-gc.

No idea how this would sync if we don't keep ancestry. Otoh, it
would probably not be very expensive to do just that.

notmuch would then only search and provide the hash ID(s); tags
would be a function of storage.

Is it possible to find out all trees that reference a given object
with Git in constant or sub-linear time?

"the question of whether computers can think
 is like the question of whether submarines can swim."
                                                 -- edsgar w. dijkstra

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net