[notmuch] emacs: On getting support for inline images

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 10 12:54:52 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:20:00 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Here are some ideas for possible (and independent) fixes:
>
> 1. With the current setup, we know we are using a temporary buffer that
>    the user won't see, so notmuch could temporarily set
>    mm-inline-media-tests to nil forcing everything to use external
>    viewers when the user presses 'v'.

Below is a patch to implement this piece.

It seems to do the trick so that I can now actually view image
attachments with 'v' (hurrah!). So I think I'll push this now.

-Carl

PS. I know that attaching the output of "git format-patch" to a message
like this isn't the "git way". (That is, you won't get the right result
by simply piping this message to "git am".) But I really wish it
were. It seems I often write code in response to an email message and I
often want to reply to that *message* and incidentally provide a
patch. The git way, with the commit message in the subject and the first
part of the body seems backwards to me, (as far as the conversation is
concerned).

PPS. If I did want to construct this message in the "git way", but
without using git-send-mail, I know how to construct the subject line
and how to put explanatory text like this below the separator. But what
am I supposed to do with the commit identifier that appears in an mbox
"From" line in the format-patch output? I assume this is required for
"git am -3" to work, but where can I put it in an email message?