[notmuch] Icon

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 10 12:03:55 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:46:11 +0100, "Sebastian Spaeth" <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> As much as I hate replying to myself and spamming this list, some might
> actually prefer a black-and-white version of a notmuch icon based on the
> scales of justice :-). Sorry, I won't post about this anymore.

No apology necessary, Sebastian! I really appreciate your creative
contributions here!

> http://github.com/spaetz/notmuch-all-feature/raw/master/contrib/notmuchscales_alt.png
> http://github.com/spaetz/notmuch-all-feature/tree/master/contrib/)

Of everything proposed so far, this one is my favorite. The
black-and-white styling captures the minimal look I wanted, and I think
the "lighter than nothing" humor of these scales is more clear than the
perhaps-too-subtle "arrow pointing at zero" of the previous scale.

This one is also fairly usable at the 16x16 size necessary for a web
icon.

Here's one attempt at that, (with an arbitrary color thrown in for the
background). Let me know what you think. (I definitely want to replace
the current ikiwiki icon we have---not that I have anything against
ikiwiki, but if we're going to be shipping imagery, it should be our
own).

-Carl

PS. Attaching this image made me explore the handling of image
attachments in the notmuch-emacs client a bit. I'll write up my
discoveries in a separate mail.