[notmuch] loss of duplicate messages

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Fri Feb 5 09:49:21 PST 2010

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 18:25:59 +0100, Marten Veldthuis <marten at veldthuis.com> wrote:
> This is indeed the correct behaviour of notmuch. There has been some
> discussion on it in the past, I believe with proposals to track both
> messages and show only one; but I don't think I've seen proponents of
> showing both duplicate messages.
>
> Personally I'd find it rather annoying if I'd see messages twice. But I
> do see the value in being sure that your mail gets delivered through the
> list. I believe the solution I've seen discussed was for notmuch to
> somehow determine which of the duplicates holds the most information
> (which would be the one through the list, not the one directly to you).

Hey, Marten.  Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have with only returning one of the redundant messages is
that I don't think anyone could ever really convince me that notmuch has
the ability to decide which of the redundant messages is the *right* one
to return.  I think notmuch is currently just returning the first one it
indexes, but why is that better than returning the one most recently
indexed?

A policy of only returning one is going to be problematic for folks who
want or expect to see the other.  And in fact think I want to see both.
I have both, and I've asked notmuch to index both, so why shouldn't it
return both in a search?

jamie.