[notmuch] Backport of Xapian term update optimisation

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Feb 3 18:45:24 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 02:35:14PM -0500, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:06:59 +0000 (UTC), Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> > I've backported the term update optimisation patches
> > <http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/250> to Xapian's 1.0 branch, and you can
> > find snapshot tarballs including these changes here:
> >
> > http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/branches/1.0/
> >
> > Xapian's testsuite passes (including the additional test coverage which I
> > also backported), and I looked over each change carefully, but I would be
> > interested to see some real world testing, particularly in the situation
> > which these changes are intended to improve (i.e. speed of tagging in
> > notmuch).
>
> Hey, Olly.  Thanks so much for backporting this patch and uploading a
> patched package to Debian experimental (which is now available):

It hasn't built for all Debian architectures yet, but is available for at
least amd64 and x86, which are probably the most popular two.

If you aren't sure how to pull in packages from experimental, see:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

I've also put it in a Launchpad PPA for all currently supported Ubuntu
releases, which has built for all of them already:

https://launchpad.net/~ojwb/+archive/experimental/

> I just installed this new version from a Debian experimental repo,
> rebuilt notmuch against the new installation, and everything seems to be
> working great.  I'll report back any issues to the BTS.  Thanks again.

Thanks.  Are you seeing the expected speed improvement?

Cheers,
    Olly