[notmuch] Emacs paned UI

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Feb 3 11:12:15 PST 2010

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:05:40 -0800, Tad Fisher <tadfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I dusted off my Elisp manual and hacked up notmuch.el to support a
> 3-paned UI. This involved the creation of a minor mode (I call it
> notmuch-browse-mode) that manages window state, along with several
> modifications of existing functions to "do the right thing" when we're
> in browse-mode (such as close the "show" window, switch to the "folder"
> window, etc.).

Hey, Tad.  Thanks so much for persuing this!  I was definitely looking
to put something like this together myself, but your elisp foo is a lot
better than mine.  A couple comments:

* I actually would prefer just a two-paned layout, since I don't use
  folders.  Is there a way to configure it to check if there are folders
  defined, and not show the third panel if there isn't?

* I would also like to see the focus remain in the notmuch-search buffer
  all the time, unless I specifically switch to the notmuch-show
  buffer.  I would really like things to behave more like mutt, where
  I'm scrolling through my mail from notmuch-search, but then the
  messages themselves are just being displayed in the lower pane.  Does
  that make sense?

jamie.