[notmuch] Fcc, Maildir, and Emacs message-mode -- a bit of code

Fri Jan 29 05:21:56 PST 2010

First, I think this FCC method is phantastic and it works like a
charm. I agree that we should include the snippets at least in some
"contrib" directory (or doc/examples) to make it easier to find.

Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> (defun my-message-header-setup ()
>   (message-add-header "Fcc: ~/.mail/sent"))
> (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'my-message-header-setup)

I tried to replace that snippet with:

(setq message-default-mail-headers "Fcc:  ~/.mail/sent\n")

because I like to see the Fcc header when composing, but this only works
for new messages (via ctrl-x m) and not when invoked with "r"(eply) on
an existing message in notmuch.

Is message-default-mail-headers only invoked for completely new mails?
The message mode manual doesn't state anything about that.

And I agree with JRollins patch to not add the BCC to myself from
notmuch.el by default. Either make it a notmuch option, or specify how to
set up a default BCC in emacs in the docs.

Sebastian