[notmuch] Introducing notmuchsync

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 20 00:20:04 PST 2010

Jameson Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:

Hi Jameson,

> That said, I have vasilated just a bit on this, as to whether notmuch
> should touch the mail at all, or just process it.  But having thought
> about it a bit, I think that notmuch really *is* an MUA, or at least
> the mail processing part of a MUA (MUA minus message reader), and
> should therefore do the appropriate things with the maildir.

I don't care if notmuch would somehow manipulate mail, but at least,
there has to be an option to avoid that.  I use it only as indexer and
search utility, and wrote some custom code to jump from notmuch buffers
to the right message in Gnus.  Notmuch indexes the mails directly in the
mail storage of my local IMAP server, which is not maildir, and I'm
pretty sure, my IMAP server wouldn't like someone modifying files in its
guts.

Bye,
Tassilo