[notmuch] Introducing notmuchsync

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Tue Jan 19 08:04:49 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 04:52:42PM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> That is why I have coded my notmuchsync tool. It does all that. While I
> agree that notmuch should probably (and faster) do all that itself, the
> current design seems to be to keep notmuch flexible, small and to never touch
> your mailstore. Until that changes, surrounding scripts will have to
> perform these tasks.

I should have mentioned in my previous mail that I think this tool is
a great idea, and I plan on using it.  I just hope that all of it's
functionality will be integrated directly into notmuch itself.

That said, I have vasilated just a bit on this, as to whether notmuch
should touch the mail at all, or just process it.  But having thought
about it a bit, I think that notmuch really *is* an MUA, or at least
the mail processing part of a MUA (MUA minus message reader), and
should therefore do the appropriate things with the maildir.

> My current synchronization script looks basically like this:
>
> notmuch new       # make db consistent (earlier deleted mails etc)
> notmuchsync -s -n # MailDir flags update and "cur" dir moving
> offlineimap       # sync with IMAP server
> notmuch new       # incorporate new mails in notmuch db

Do you do another notmuchsync after the final notmuch new, to get any
new flags in the maildir synced with the database?

jamie.