[notmuch] indexing mail?

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Jan 14 09:38:54 PST 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:13:53 +0100, Arvid wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:38:00 +0100, Arvid Picciani <aep at exys.org> wrote:
>
> > on the first run (when no .notmuch is there yet), it finds some
> > messages, but doesn't index them either.

Yuk! I logged-in via Gmail's web interface and found that I have some new
messages which are not being picked by Notmuch.

> the offending commit is 2c4555f1a56602ff1dd55a63699810522ba4d91e
>
> from readdir (3):
>
>      "Currently, only some file systems (among them: Btrfs, ext2, ext3,
>      and ext4) have full  support  returning  the  file
>        type in d_type.  All applications must properly handle a return
>      of DT_UNKNOWN."

I am using XFS, which always returns DT_UNKNOWN. Taking into account that
there is a good deal of people using filesystems other than the ones you
mention, and that other non-linux filesystems may also return DT_UNKNOWN,
in my opinion there should be a fall-back. I will try to post a patch
Anytime Soon™.

Also, I have the feeling that the "d_type" field from "struct dirent" may
not be available in some OSes because it is a BSD extension.

Cheers,

--
Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>
Igalia - Free Software Engineering