[notmuch] [RFC/PATCH v2] Add search-files command

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Wed Jan 13 14:52:21 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 03:17:41PM +0200, Ali Polatel wrote:
> This command can be used to integrate notmuch with other MUAs as a
> searching client. The idea is simple, a simple script could get
> search-terms as argument and create a "virtual" maildir which has
> symbolic links to files output by search-files command. This is similar
> to nmzmail.

Hi, Ali.  I was also recently asking about a way to output just the
file names of message resulting from searches.  This is an important
feature for handling deleting and moving in mail clients as well.  I
believe that Carl said this would be easier once he applied the JSON
output patches that are in the queue right now.  Hopefully we'll see
those soon.

Personally I think the right way to implement this from a UI
perspective would be to just have an output filter for the 'search'
subcommand, something like:

notmuch search --output=filename <search-term>...

If output formatting was well enough supported one could even imagine
getting rid of the 'show' subcommand in favor of just the 'search'
subcommand with output formatting options.

jamie.