[notmuch] Idea for storing tags

David A. Harding dave at dtrt.org
Tue Jan 12 13:39:51 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:19:09AM +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> I think [tag leakage] it makes in-headers unusable. After all, I don't
> ever want anyone else to know that I tag e-mails from my boss as
> "from-idiots",

You can cryptographically hash tags so that third-parties can't read
the contents of the in-headers. For security, a salt should be appended
to the tag name to make dictionary attacks on the tags more difficult.
For their owners' convenience, mail clients will want a mapping of hash
to tag name.

> [...] pseudo-mails stored in Maildir and synchronised by IMAP

A single RFC2822 message can store the salt and hash-to-tag database. It
could contain a clear subject and directions to the end user not to move
or delete it. This would not, I think, terribly confuse existing mail
clients or their users.

-Dave
--
David A. Harding	    Website:  http://dtrt.org/