[notmuch] indexing encrypted messages (was: OpenPGP support)

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Jan 8 02:24:37 PST 2010

also sprach Ruben Pollan <meskio at sindominio.net> [2010.01.08.2221 +1300]:
> I think that would be security hole. You should not store the
> encrypted messages on a decrypted database. A solution whould be
> to encrypt as well the xapian DB, but I think is too complex for
> the use.

As I said in <20100108091216.GC735 at lapse.rw.madduck.net>, I think it
should be optionally possible for those that are encrypting the
xapian DB in other ways.

> You should be still able, with the actual notmuch, to search over
> the headers of your encrypted messages, or any other non-encrypted
> part of the message. Is not like that?

Most of the time, I search headers, but I do search bodies
regularly. So no, that would not be enough, at least not with the
ideal solution. And notmuch comes close to ideal already! ;)

infinite loop: see 'loop, infinite'.
loop, infinite: see 'infinite loop'.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net