[notmuch] Building xapian+kanru patch on Debian stable

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Dec 28 16:08:59 PST 2009

Here is a script of commands that I ran to get xapian built with
Kan-Ru's patch on Debian Lenny.  There is less goofing around if you are
running Sid.  I keep a git mirror of the xapian svn, with the patch
already applied. I have been running this version of xapian for a week
or so with no obvious ill effects. I'm sure this can be tidied up; I
more or less just hacked my way through the process.

Note that this installs some packages from unstable onto your system,
which in some sense voids your warranty.  But you can remove them
afterwards. I have no idea why the foolishness with update-alternatives
is required.

git clone git://pivot.cs.unb.ca/git/xapian.git
cd xapian
git checkout -b kan-ru origin/kan-ru
sudo apt-get install build-essential m4 perl python zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install uuid-dev wget
# versions in lenny are too old
sudo apt-get -t unstable install autoconf automake libtool
sudo update-alternatives --set aclocal /usr/bin/aclocal-1.11
sudo update-alternatives --set automake /usr/bin/automake-1.11
sh bootstrap --without-autotools
./configure --disable-documentation
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd /usr/local/bin && sudo ln -s xapian-config-1.1 xapian-config
cd $HOME/projects/notmuch
make
ldd ./notmuch | grep xapian
# should say something like
# libxapian-1.1.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libxapian-1.1.so.3 (0x00007fe2a3dd1000)