[notmuch] modifying emacs keymap

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at phys.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 28 13:18:12 PST 2009

Hey, folks.  This is the first in what is surely to be a long line of
requests for help customizing the notmuch emacs UI.

In this episode, I'm trying to add a function to the default keymap in
notmuch-search-mode.  Here's what I tried to do:

(add-hook 'notmuch-search-mode
  (define-key notmuch-search-mode-map "A" 'notmuch-show-mark-read-then-archive-thread)
)

However, when I tried to use it, I got the following error (from *Messages*):

notmuch-show-get-tags: Search failed: "^Lmessage{"

Does anyone know where this error is coming from, and how to get
around it?  I could just be going about modifying the keymap the wrong
way, so if anyone has better suggestions about how to do it, I would
love to hear it.  If there's a different way to *modify* a keymap, as
opposed to adding a key to the map, I would be interested in seeing
that as well.

Thanks for the help.

jamie.