[notmuch] keeping a copy of sent mail locally

Alex Ghitza aghitza at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:24:52 PST 2009

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 02:55:16 -0800, Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:41:14 +1100, Alex Ghitza <aghitza at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bcc-ing myself on every sent message is suboptimal for a number of
> > reasons: (1) gmail throws away the bcc-ed copy since it has the same
> > message id as the one sitting in the gmail sent mail, and so the
> > bcc-ed copy never makes it back to my local mail;
>
> I agree it is suboptimal, but are you sure this is true?  I send
> messages via gmail and those having Bcc to me are marked as new and
> downloaded by the next pass of getmail (via POP).

Aha!  Your reply prodded me to investigate this further.  The problem
seems to be in the way I'm working with the emacs "Message" mode.
Namely, Bcc works fine when I *reply* to a message from notmuch in
emacs: while composing the reply I see the automatically added Bcc
header, and after sending through gmail and getting the new mail via POP
I get the message back.

However, if I'm using notmuch in emacs and press 'm' to compose a new
message, then the Bcc header is not added automatically and I guess it's
not surprising that the rest doesn't work as expected.

So where is the difference between 'm' and 'r' coming from?  I have
(setq mail-self-blind t)  in my .emacs, and I thought that should take
care of things, but it obviously doesn't.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/