[notmuch] automatically assigning tags to new messages?

Alex Ghitza aghitza at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 03:21:54 PST 2009

Dear notmuch crowd,

I heard about notmuch mail a few days ago and I started playing with
it.  So far, it makes me very happy, but there are some things that I
need to learn how to do.  I'll start with the most important one:
tagging incoming messages automatically.

What is the recommended way of achieving this?  There is a variety of
things that I would like to automatically do to incoming mail:
- if it comes from a mailing list (e.g. notmuch), tag it +notmuch and
  +unread, but not +inbox
- if it's one of the numerous pointless weekly newsletters that I'm
  getting from my university, tag it +unimelb, but not +unread or +inbox
- if it is coming from me, tag it +sent, but not +unread or +inbox

There's probably more, but this is a good start.  Any advice?

[My current email setup is as follows: get messages from the Gmail
account using fetchmail; run procmail with a bunch of recipes that put
the messages into various maildirs; read the results with mutt.  (Oh,
and send mail with msmtp from mutt.)]

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne
-- Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/