[notmuch] wish: syncable/immutable threads

David Bremner bremner at unb.ca
Thu Dec 17 16:20:47 PST 2009

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:36:04 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> But yes, if you can make your links depend only on message IDs then you
> can get reliable results even before we start including thread IDs in
> the dump output. The result of "notmuch show --entire-thread id:foo" is
> quite similar to the result of "notmuch show thread:bar" (for the
> corresponding thread ID of course). It differs only in the "match"
> field, which is used to determine which messages to open by default.

I'm thinking of making links in the style "threadof:msg-id".  At the
moment I just substitute id: for threadof: and call notmuch-show. This
relies on (notmuch-show "id:foo") using "notmuch show --entire-thread"
or something equivalent.  I could also put another layer of function
there if relying on the behaviour of notmuch-show is an obviously bad
idea.

David