[notmuch] emacs mode performance issue

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Dec 11 16:02:06 PST 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:40:23 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Which should let you tar these up and you can send them to me privately
> and I'll try to replicate and fix the bug.

Thanks for passing on the messages, Dirk. If anyone's curious the
message that triggered the bug is a public mail on the Linux Kernel
Mailing List:

	id:alpine.LFD.2.00.0912081304070.3560 at localhost.localdomain

(It does have to be viewed in thread context---indented at least 13
columns to trigger the bug.)

The bug was an infinite loop add the button for a hidden citation,
(where our emacs lisp code got a bit confused about where the next line
was and infinitely looped on the same citation adding a never ending
sequence of "[1-line citation]" buttons).

I fixed the infinite loop and while in the area made a few other minor
improvements to the citation-hiding code:

  * No longer consider '>' as introducing a citation if not in first
    column.

  * No longer insert an the extra blank line after the citation button.

  * Add text to the citation button to tell new users that they can
    click or press Enter on the button to show the citation.

I'd still like to add one more feature which is a keybinding to make all
the citations for the current message visible. (It could even do the
that the current position of point within the current buffer and the
current window remained unchanged.)

I hope that's helpful,

-Carl