[notmuch] reading with multiple MUAs from MailDir

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Dec 11 13:20:27 PST 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:59:59 -0800, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> With all due respect... Seriously? That doesn't even qualify as a crazy
> hack... this process takes something like 15 minutes for me.
>
> Carl, any idea how when an actual solution to this problem will arrive?

Hard to predict, since it depends on me finding some spare time to work
on this. It's obviously a high-priority issue for notmuch at this point.

In the meantime, Mikhail did contribute a patch that should work, (with
some performance impact on "notmuch new"). You might give it try. You
can find it in our (lame) web-based archives (with no link to get the
raw message), here:

	http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2009/000766.html

Or if you have all of the notmuch mail archives then you can find it
much more easily by just doing a notmuch-search (just hit 's' from any
notmuch buffer in emacs) for:

	id:1259267025-28733-1-git-send-email-dottedmag at dottedmag.net

Any latecomers to the list can grab the whole archives from here:

	http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2009.txt.gz

And import by running that through mb2md (targeting a new directory
within the mail store). Eventually I'd like to provide a direct notmuch
command for importing an mbox like this.

-Carl