[notmuch] [Orgmode] Notmuch: An emacs interface for fast global search and tagging of email

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Dec 9 12:00:21 PST 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:01:27 +0100, Manuel Hermenegildo <herme at fi.upm.es> wrote:
> (seems like a variable is not defined well in the makefile). Taking
> the last "libtalloc.dylib.2" out it seems to compile

Maybe I hit that myself as well. Shame on me for now reporting it
upstream to the talloc folks if I did.

> and so does notmuch, which seems to run fine.

Great news. I'm glad you got that working.

> Now to trying it within emacs. Here the snag is that notmuch.el uses
> apply-partially, which I think is an emacs 23 addtition.

*sigh*

Shouldn't partial application be a pretty fundamental thing in a
functional language? How is it possible that this is new in emacs 23?

Anyway, current notmuch is only using apply-partially in one tiny place,
(for formatting the help screen). And even that's just to try to
generate a nicer-looking help screen than one gets with `describe-mode'.

So options here include at least:

1. Rewriting the code to not use apply-partially

2. Punting and just using describe-mode on old emacs.

> Thanks for the pointer to the list and for your efforts. Notmuch looks
> very interesting.

And thank you for your interest. I hope you'll find a way to get it
working soon. And please feel free to share whatever you do come up
with.

-Carl