[notmuch] Quick thoughts on a notmuch daemon

Michiel Buddingh' michiel at michielbuddingh.net
Tue Dec 8 11:29:02 PST 2009

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:27:05 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> A simple solution would be a notmuch daemon that can accept commands on
> stdin, (in basically the exact same form as the current notmuch
> command-line interface). If the daemon does the job of periodically
> incorporating new mail, then the only command necessary to solve (1)
> above would be the tag command.

If you add a second pipe for notmuch to broadcast information about
events (such as new mail being indexed) you could farm out most of the
logic that will increasingly clutter up notmuch-new.c to an external
daemon.

Just the mailid and path would be enough for people to implement their
own tagging based on directory, Maildir flags or (for all I care)
Bayesian content filtering with relative ease.

Just a thought
--
Michiel Buddingh'