[notmuch] Debian packaging

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sun Nov 29 05:55:46 PST 2009

Hi, folks.  I know there isn't even a proper release yet, but I
couldn't help myself so I started to put together some notmuch Debian
packaging [0].  It's built around using git-buildpackage, and I've
posted what I have to the "debian" branch in my notmuch git repo:

  git://lair.fifthhorseman.net/~jrollins/notmuch

To build the package you need a branch named "upstream" which tracks
upstream, and a version tag of this branch (currently I'm assuming the
version number is "0.0").  Once you have those, you can run the
following command in the debian branch:

  git buildpackage -us -uc --git-ignore-new

The resulting package also currently installs the notmuch emacsen.  It
might be worth considering if the emacsen should be broken out into a
separate package (ie. maybe all the notmuch interfaces should separate
packages?).  The emacsen installation is new to me, so it's possible I
didn't get it right.  You currently have to do a

  load-library notmuch

when you start emacs.

As much as I would love to, at this point I'm not quite offering to
actually be maintainer of a notmuch Debian package.  I don't quite
have the bandwidth at the moment to deal with what is surely to be a
very popular package (eg. bug reports).  I wouldn't mind being on a
maintainer team, though.  I'm certainly happy to maintain all the
packaging for the mean time, though.  If nothing else, I'm posting
what I have in case someone else wants to run with it.

Please let me know if there are any questions, comments, patches, etc.

jamie.

[0] I noticed that David Bremner filled a RFP for notmuch a little
while ago: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557354