[notmuch] Mailing list Reply-To munging and notmuch reply

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Nov 28 12:11:49 PST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:26:52 +0100, Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow (at least not when comparing to the sanitized
> headers shown in the online archives).  Could you send me one of these
> headers?

No problem. See attached.

The mail on cairo-commit has a From: address that is auto-generated by
the username of the committer, (so is likely not even valid for a
reply). The To: address (cairo-commit at cairographics.org) also does not
accept any mail. So a reply to either of those addresses will not be
useful.

Instead, the mail sets a Reply-To: to the general
cairo at cairographics.org list.

So that's not your typical Reply-to munging on a mailing list, (in this
case, there's no incoming mail where the munging could break a user's
manually set Reply-To header).

And it sounds like your idea would not break the replying to this list,
(replies would still be directed to cairo@ which is what I want). If I
understand correctly, it would still also reply to cairo-commit@ which
will end up bouncing, until we add something for "reply to sender only".
And that's the same behavior I've had with any MUA and this list.

> When mailing lists munge, do they ever just add to that field (RFC-2822
> says Reply-To may contain multiple addresses)?

I have no idea about that myself.

-Carl