[notmuch] Using notmuch from Ruby, Python, et al.

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Nov 27 18:55:28 PST 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:58:00 -0800, Scott Robinson <scott at quadhome.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Jeffrey Ollie's message of Wed Nov 25 09:46:47 -0800 2009:
>
> I selected cJSON because it was simple for integration. Given how libsha1.c is
> included in lib/, I figured adding a depedency wouldn't be very
> popular.

I'm not dead-set against additional dependencies, but I think I do take
a conservative approach, (hence copying in the tiny libsha1.c rather
than linking to any enormous encryption library).

> Would it be better to link with a previously existing library?

For something like this, I don't see the need for any library at
all---generating any particular format is always *much* easier than
parsing it.

So I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of tiny functions in notmuch for this
(or other formats). And I think it would be better to start with code
that's already written and debugged (and license compatible!) rather
than starting from scratch.

> Q: Why are my replies five sentences or less?
> A: http://five.sentenc.es/

There---just five this time. :-)

-Carl