[notmuch] notmuch 'index' mode.

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Nov 23 19:43:26 PST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:16:54 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> So what next for the user? We've got lots of empty space in the folder
> view, so I think what I'd like is to provide some suggestions on search
> strings to try, and then to make it obvious how to associate a name with
> a search string. And at that point, I'd like that name to be added to
> the folder view.

Right, associate a name for the search from the *search* view instead of
the folder view. Then it's just a matter of using that command and
typing a name. At that point, you get the new folder (or named search)
added to the main window. That's a great plan.

> Then tags become something that are just for manual manipulation. What
> do you think?

So you wouldn't generally end up using tags? And each time you wanted to
view a folder you'd really get a new search result? I can see some
benefits if you're using time-range based searches (show me all the mail
From Carl that was received in the last week). And disadvantages as
searching might actually be slow at some point?

> Ah, that's it. So "xorg-board" only looked like it worked because I had
> a "xorg" folder as well. :-)

Yea, sorry 'bout that.

> Maybe something like that.

Let's figure it out later; it's just a number and we can change it
without any penalty.

keith.packard at intel.com