[notmuch] Notmuch doesn't index new mails when mail location contains symlinks

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 23 06:43:41 PST 2009

Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag at dottedmag.net> writes:

Hi Mikhail,

>  TH> Whenever I delete those symlinks and created them anew, the new
>  TH> mails get indexed with the next "notmuch new".  Of course, I could
>  TH> create a script that does exactly that, but there should be a
>  TH> better way, right?
>
> Probably mail does not get indexed due to mtime checks. Please try
> whether touch'ing directory with mailboxes makes it work.

No, it seems that doesn't help either.

First, I only touched the two symlinks.  This didn't help.  Then I used
"find . -type d | xargs touch" to touch all directories inside the
directories the symlinks point to.  But still no luck.  Finally, I
deleted the symlinks and created them anew, and then it indexed the 12
new mails that arrived in the meantime.

Bye,
Tassilo