[notmuch] [RFC] Precedence of OR and AND

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sun Nov 22 20:39:29 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:43:30 +0100, Jed Brown <jed at 59A2.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:36:49 -0500, Bart Trojanowski <bart at jukie.net> wrote:
> Absolutely, and I have this applied locally to notmuch.el,

Patch please?

>                                                            but I didn't
> fix notmuch-search-filter-by-tag because that would really need to parse
> the expression.

I don't see the difference here. Any time we append to the search
string, we should be doing so with parentheses.

>                  I'm just asking if anyone else thinks binding OR
> tighter than AND would be desirable.

Right now, Xapian is doing all of our query parsing. So we'd have to
take things up there to get anything changed for now.

In the future we might be forced into writing our own query parser to
get all the functionality we want.

-Carl