[notmuch] Catching up unread messages

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sun Nov 22 13:57:30 PST 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:48:52 +0100, Tassilo Horn <tassilo at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Ok, so new the question: I indexed all my 63.000 mails, and because it
> was a first-time indexing, all my mail now has the tags inbox and
> unread.  Of course, I don't want to SPC through all threads (using the
> great emacs interface) to remove the unread status.  So is there some
> catchup command, which marks all messages in the buffer as read?

With this patch

  <1258920736-14205-1-git-send-email-jed at 59A2.org>

you would do

  * -inbox

or

  * -inbox -unread

On the command line, you can clear it with

$ notmuch tag -inbox tag:inbox

> BTW, what's the intention of the inbox tag?  When I've read a thread,
> both inbox as well as unread disappear, so I don't get the difference
> between them.

That is because SPC is bound to
notmuch-show-advance-marking-read-and-archiving which removes both tags.
The idea is that you can clear your inbox while retaining unread status,
or leave something important in your inbox even though you have read it.

Jed