[notmuch] Asynchronous tagging

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Nov 21 12:48:19 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:01:20 +0100, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> Yes, this is a known bug in Xapian (it rewrites all of the indexed terms
> for the email message even though you're just trying to add/remove one
> term). The Xapian ticket for this is here:
>
> 	replace_document should make minimal changes to database file
> 	http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/250

This bug report is concerned that it could require an API change, it
sounds like you think this is unnecessary.  Thanks for the detailed
explanation.

> Chris Wilson just contributed a patch to enable read-only usage of
> notmuch while another notmuch process holds the write lock.

I'm running it.

> Does offlineimap use tmp while it's delivering message and then move
> things to new? If so, then maybe all we need to do to fix notmuch to not
> look into tmp directories?

Yes, that's how maildir is supposed to work.  Deliver to tmp, hard link
from new, then unlink in tmp.  The client should never look in tmp.
Should be very quick to fix in notmuch.

Jed