[notmuch] notmuch vim support

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Nov 21 12:14:22 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:39:09 -0500, Bart Trojanowski <bart at jukie.net> wrote:
> I've spent a few days on porting notmuch.el to vim.  It's not as feature
> rich as notmuch.el yet, but it's coming along nicely.  The results of my
> work are here:

Oh, hey! That's fantastic. I didn't expect to see a second notmuch
interface so soon.

> There are some screenshots in my blog:
>
>         http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/notmuch.vim

It looks nice. I'm watching Chris Wilson play with it now, (in spite of
the fact that Chris sent patches already---he wasn't actually using
notmuch until he saw this vim interface appear).

I'm actually surprised as to how faithfully it replicates the notmuch.el
experience. And some of that includes misfeatures that I just hadn't
figured out how to do better, (like the global toggling of signature
visibility).

So, well done!

I think the only thing we noticed is that "filter" doesn't add the "and"
between the old and new search terms. But Chris may have more to comment
soon.

> I'd love for this to be included in the official project, but I am not
> sure if you'd prefer to merge at this point or wait will I am done.
> Naturally, if anyone is interested I'd love some help.

Let's definitely merge it into the repository. As things are changing
quickly now, it will be nice to be able to update both interfaces in
concert. (Like with my patch that changes --max-threads to --max, etc.)

I don't know how realistic it will be to keep both interfaces totally
synchronized in terms of look-and-feel, colors, keybindings, etc. But it
might be nice to do that as much as possible. I think it would be
helpful if we could have interface discussions as an entire community
and not split based on choice of editor.

-Carl